It’s Cracked, so take it with a grain of salt until others confirm, but there appears to a massive law enforcement censorship effort going on at Standing Rock. TL:DR – law enforcement agencies from multiple states are using planes and drones equipped with Stingrays to disrupt the ability of cell phones at Standing Rock to connect to the internet. They’re coupling this with DDoS attacks aimed at the camp’s secure wifi hotspots along with their own honeypot unsecured wifi hotspots designed to hack protesters’ devices and accounts. This is censorship on the level of Egypt trying to shut down the internet during the Arab Spring.
May 1, 2009
August 19, 2011
August 3, 2015
September 11, 2018
YOUR DONATIONS ENABLE OUR WORK!
We are all volunteers at EFF-Austin and our work is enabled through donations from concerned citizens like you.
EFF-Austin advocates establishment and protection of digital rights and defense of the wealth of digital information, innovation, and technology. We promote the right of all citizens to communicate and share information without unreasonable constraint. We also advocate the fundamental right to explore, tinker, create, and innovate along the frontier of emerging technologies.
- This Judge’s Investigation Of Patent Trolls Must Be Allowed to Move Forward December 2, 2022
- India Requires Internet Services to Collect and Store Vast Amount of Customer Data, Building a Path to Mass Surveillance December 2, 2022
- How to Make a Mastodon Account and Join the Fediverse December 1, 2022
- International Coalition of Rights Groups Call on Internet Infrastructure Providers to Avoid Content Policing December 1, 2022
- Let Data Breach Victims Sue Marriott December 1, 2022
Oral History of EFF-Austin
Joel Greenberg recorded an oral history with EFF-Austin early board members John Quarterman, Ed Cavazos, and Jon Lebkowsky. Link