Alex Shahrestani holds a JD from the University of Texas School of Law, with a background in computer science. His interest in technology and the law probably really began when he watched the Matrix, but further developed when – trying to decide on a college major – he recognized the potential of technology to disrupt legal precedent as well as the legal services industry. Alex’s philosophy is to leave the world a little bit more like the one he’d have liked to have for himself. To that end, he has served on several nonprofit boards, launched a startup, counseled startups on business strategies, worked for the state senate, founded the Journal of Law and Technology at Texas, assists SXSW with their legal education conference, performed well over a thousand hours of pro bono work, initiated several pro bono programs, automated legal work for the public benefit, and learned how to play guitar so no one would have to hear him sing instead. His focus with EFF Austin is on policy, education, and community building. Alex wears many hats, and his professional one can be found at ShahrestaniLaw.com.
YOUR DONATIONS ENABLE OUR WORK!
We are all volunteers at EFF-Austin and our work is enabled through donations from concerned citizens like you.
EFF-Austin advocates establishment and protection of digital rights and defense of the wealth of digital information, innovation, and technology. We promote the right of all citizens to communicate and share information without unreasonable constraint. We also advocate the fundamental right to explore, tinker, create, and innovate along the frontier of emerging technologies.
- Geofence Warrants and Reverse Keyword Warrants are So Invasive, Even Big Tech Wants to Ban Them May 13, 2022
- California Law Enforcement Now Needs Approval for Military-Grade Surveillance Equipment. We'll Be Watching. May 12, 2022
- In a Blow to Free Speech, Texas’ Social Media Law Allowed to Proceed Pending Appeal May 12, 2022
- The EU Commission’s New Proposal Would Undermine Encryption And Scan Our Messages May 12, 2022
- EFF to Court: Fair Use is a Right Congress Cannot Cast Aside May 11, 2022
Oral History of EFF-Austin
Joel Greenberg recorded an oral history with EFF-Austin early board members John Quarterman, Ed Cavazos, and Jon Lebkowsky. Link