The Texas Electronic Privacy Coalition has fought to protect Texans’ digital privacy since 2013. Last session they successfully lobbied to protect emails with a search warrant. Now they’re back for more.
This session, TxEPC is lobbying to protect your sensitive GPS and cell phone location data under a warrant too. Come learn about StingRays, tower dumps, Texas politics, and how you can get involved on this important issue.
UPDATE: Audio and slides from this meeting are now available below.
- [0:00] Introductions / Announcements
- [9:00] Gregory Foster
- [39:00] Scott Henson
- [61:20] Kathy Mitchell
- [1:25:50] Matt Simpson
- [1:38:00] Q&A, Wrap-Up
- Gregory Foster on the tech involved in geolocation privacy issues
- Kathy Mitchell on the “Seven Philosophies” of grassroots lobbying
- Gregory Foster — EFF-Austin
- Kathy Mitchell — Texas Electronic Privacy Coalition (TxEPC)
- Scott Henson — Grits for Breakfast
- Matt Simpson — ACLU of Texas
Validated parking is available in the Omni garage. Details:
- Cell Tracking — Electronic Frontier Foundation
- It’s not just the NSA: local police collect masses of data about us too — TxEPC.org
- APD: Can We Please Buy Some Top-Secret “StingRays”? — Austin Chronicle